There are similarities between video games and gambling and some of them are:
- They both have a huge fan base
- There is a social element to both activities
- There is a feeling of progression in both games and gambling
- There is a feeling of excitement around both
- Individuals can make money from both activities
However, there are differences between video games and gambling:
Video Games are not always a Financial Transaction
There are many free online games, particularly social games, where you do not have to spend any money at all.
Gambling is always a financial transaction: if you win, you get money. If you lose, you lose money.
Video Games can be Played alone
Although online games are often played with others, there is no social element to the playing of the game itself. Gambling is always an interactive experience, as you are playing against other people: there is a risk to your money.